Monday, May 12, 2014

The Kiss Heard Around the World

Saturday night (actually Sunday Morning) as I was going to bed after a long day of early Mother's Day celebration, I received saw a news update on my phone announcing Michael Sam being the first openly gay man drafted into the NFL. Pretty cool news that I really thought nothing about.

Sunday morning,after about 6 hours of sleep, I get on my computer and start checking my regular News outlets. To my surprise, most of them have this:


Just to be clear about something here, I am a gay man. This photo does not bother me in the least bit. What I do find interesting is that this photo is splashed all over so many websites - not a photo of Michael on the phone getting the confirmation, not a photo of him and his family celebrating, but a photo of him and his boyfriend caught up in a whirlwind of raw emotions, celebrating a great moment for them both.

What I want to know though, is why this picture? Is it still so shocking to see a man kiss another man in 2014? I think it is great that an openly gay man was drafted into the NFL and it is a glass ceiling busting moment, but again - why is this picture so shocking to so many people? So let's be honest about 2 things here - 1) if Michael was kissing a woman, it would not have been published and 2) if Michael was with a woman, his 7th round pick for the Rams would not have been a big deal at all - it would have been a ho hum, good for him reaction from many people. Can anyone give me the name of any other 7th round pick?

So today (Monday, if you are keeping track), the negative reactions are making the headlines. A Dolphins player has been suspended and fined. An ex NFL player has tweeted his negative reaction. Even Donald Trump has managed to weigh in on this event (Does anyone really care what Donald Trump thinks?). These people are fools. Why do they insist on making their opinions known, especially given the publicity this is receiving now? They have every right to their opinion, but they have to know they will get blasted with the wave of favor Michael is receiving right now. Wouldn't it be better for them if they just kept it to themselves? Then again, I am out here expressing my opinion, so maybe it is a good thing they are as well so that we know for sure who the bigots and homophobes truly are.

I wish Michael all the success in the world. It is a challenging profession he has chosen and he must still prove himself worthy of the team and the league. I wish him and his boyfriend all the happiness that can come from love and hope they have a long and wonderful relationship. If I could, I would personally congratulate Michael on being a leader and breaking through some strong barriers in a manner similar to many others in the past. We in the gay community need Michael and others like him (Jason Collins, Tom Daley, and more) to show us that progress is being made - ground is being taken, and true equality is closer than ever before. I hope Michael and his boyfriend keep on kissing whenever a camera is in their vicinity, so maybe people will finally get over it and realize that gay men do kiss - and they do kiss men.

You are invited play in my playground. Leave a comment, even if it is an opposing opinion, but play nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment